after some discussion, I (on behalf of the ARM staff) have added an advertising
section to the rules:
- We request that you do not post unsolicited advertising-related links on the forum. If it looks like you are trying to profit financially by posting links, your links may be removed without warning by the forum staff. Links like these are spam (not the off-topic type), and we don't want this kind of thing on the forum (it's ugly, and gives the place a cheap feeling).
- Examples of advertising-related links include referral IDs, trying to sell someone something, links to blogs filled with advertisements, and anything else that looks very spammy or commercial, and which the forum members are not likely to be interested in.
- Places where you should not post unsolicited advertising-related links, include (but are not limited to) forum posts, your sig, and PMs.
- By "unsolicited", we mean any type of (financially-motivated) posting, that wasn't requested by another member. So if a member expresses their interest in cheap memory cards, you may reply with a link to a page like that if you know of one. But in most cases, we do not want links like this in the forum.
- Feel free to continue linking to other fan/hobby/etc sites as usual, if the links are not spammy (financially-motivated). Although the other rules (eg: off-topic), do still apply.
- Examples of websites which are fine to link to: your YouTube channel, your Last.fm profile, video game fansites and forums, so long as you are not trying to make money by linking to them.
- Staff members will use their discression in judging links. If it is hard to tell if a given advertising-related link is acceptible, the forum staff may remove the link without notifying you in advance.
Basically, this is a response to a very small number of members, who have links to things like "cheap memory cards" in their sigs, or who post links to blogs filled with adverts.
These rules will start coming into force in a couple of days, in case there are any members who want to comment on this update before then.
Practically speaking, here are the 2 main updates we're planning to make as soon as the rules come into effect:
1) Remove links to "cheap memory cards" from 2 forum members sigs, and send them a PM to ask them not to do that in the future.
2) Remove a couple of blogs from the "blogs" topic, which are basically just advertising/spam blogs (although, I will repost these links in a spoiler section in a post in that topic, in case they are needed for reference).
And semi-related, there are some blogs which no longer exist/are giving 404 pages, which will also be removed from the first post (but included in a follow-up post in the blogs topic).
Later, if we see more links to "cheap memory card" pages, or other (very) commercial spam-like things being posted on the forum, the staff will be removing those things in short order, and letting the concerned parties know.
We're basically already doing this, but we thought it would be good to also include this in the rules topic.
Anyway, give us a shout if you don't like this change and we can discuss refining any points you don't like.
I should also add that this type of rule is very common on other internet forums.