The Many Things Wrong with NISA's Release of ATIII Thread

Forum for discussing anything Ar tonelico 3-related. Warning: There are definitely AT3 spoilers in here.

Re: The Many Things Wrong with NISA's Release of ATIII Thread

Postby Lunatic Drache » Tuesday April 19, 2011 8:29 pm

L-Voss wrote:I'm clueless as to whether all Americans use hafta in everyday speech or not...

Again, it's so common you shouldn't think about it, though the flavor varies by region... Still, what this game uses is about as generic and common as you can get. And I'm not sure what you mean by how informal it is... it really is how many of us speak to each other except in a few environments (and even in those environments, we aren't necessarily being completely formal).
Lunatic Drache
Curmudgeon

Species: Dragon

Postby L-Voss » Tuesday April 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Lunatic Drache wrote:
L-Voss wrote:I'm clueless as to whether all Americans use hafta in everyday speech or not...

Again, it's so common you shouldn't think about it, though the flavor varies by region... Still, what this game uses is about as generic and common as you can get. And I'm not sure what you mean by how informal it is... it really is how many of us speak to each other except in a few environments (and even in those environments, we aren't necessarily being completely formal).

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
Fanbars by Itsuka
Was yea ra chs syezo mea.
L-Voss
鎌倉区府人

Species: Soopian

Postby Melody_Light » Friday April 22, 2011 11:55 am

L-Voss wrote:
Lunatic Drache wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, hafta isn't so much informal, as it's just a dialect version of "have to". Not sure exactly why "gotta" should be used for Cocona, namely because her script and style didn't translate the same to English (didn't she speak in third person in the Japanese version?). But either way, I didn't really mean to start that. That was more rhetorical than anything else...LOL.

As for the third person deal, I'm actually glad they toned down (or did they?) the third person speech with Saki, because that shit gets annoying! LOL...I would have preferred her getting the Cocona treatment and have it all taken away, but oh well...
ImageImage
ImageFanbars made by Itsuka
Melody_Light
Elegy's Reyvateil

Postby L-Voss » Friday April 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Melody_Light wrote:
L-Voss wrote:
Lunatic Drache wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, hafta isn't so much informal, as it's just a dialect version of "have to". Not sure exactly why "gotta" should be used for Cocona, namely because her script and style didn't translate the same to English (didn't she speak in third person in the Japanese version?). But either way, I didn't really mean to start that. That was more rhetorical than anything else...LOL.

As for the third person deal, I'm actually glad they toned down (or did they?) the third person speech with Saki, because that shit gets annoying! LOL...I would have preferred her getting the Cocona treatment and have it all taken away, but oh well...

Um, but both Saki and Cocona speak in the third person very frequently in the English version... which is not a good thing in my opinion, as I've already stated.
Fanbars by Itsuka
L-Voss
鎌倉区府人

Postby Goober » Wednesday May 04, 2011 2:38 am

Michi Mii wrote:it's not like Aoto is going around saying "Fo Shizzle Mah Reyvatizzles" Or Tilia is saying: "We gotta save the planet! This shit be whack yo!" And I doubt Finnel says "Liiike! Oh mai gaawd! Aoto! I like, totally want you to dive into me!! Totally!"

I've seen a few people say 'Fo' sho!' and I believe Mute says 'A'ight' at one point.

Mute is hilarious, whether it's just silly translating, or what she's actually saying.

'This shit's going down, like in the streets!'

I seriously lol'd so hard when she said that.
Goober
The Goofy

Postby Thunder » Wednesday May 04, 2011 3:06 am

Goober wrote:'This shit's going down, like in the streets!'

Actually it was "This shit's about to get real, like in the streets!", but either way it was hilarious 8-) Right down Martin Laurence's alley.
Thunder
Arcadia's vanguard and Aurica's Oracle
Tower Admin

Postby L-Voss » Wednesday May 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Goober wrote:
Michi Mii wrote:it's not like Aoto is going around saying "Fo Shizzle Mah Reyvatizzles" Or Tilia is saying: "We gotta save the planet! This shit be whack yo!" And I doubt Finnel says "Liiike! Oh mai gaawd! Aoto! I like, totally want you to dive into me!! Totally!"

I've seen a few people say 'Fo' sho!' and I believe Mute says 'A'ight' at one point.

Mute is hilarious, whether it's just silly translating, or what she's actually saying.

'This shit's going down, like in the streets!'

I think this was more or less the way she spoke in Japanese, too. :^^;:
Fanbars by Itsuka
L-Voss
鎌倉区府人

Postby Emotion » Wednesday May 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Some people don't like Cocona and Saki's third person speak? That's part of their charm and appeal that makes up their personality, and I love it. I hate how they toned it down or ignore that idiosyncrasy part of their speech pattern. It's bad to lessen or remove it, and thinking it's okay to do either would be downright wrong, especially since not having them speak like that would be sacrilegious, and would result in depriving people from enjoying/experiencing how they're intended to be.
Emotion

Postby L-Voss » Wednesday May 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Emotion wrote:Some people don't like Cocona and Saki's third person speak? That's part of their charm and appeal that makes up their personality, and I love it. I hate how they toned it down or ignore that idiosyncrasy part of their speech pattern. It's bad to lessen or remove it, and thinking it's okay to do either would be downright wrong, especially since not having them speak like that would be sacrilegious, and would result in depriving people from enjoying/experiencing how they're intended to be.

The point is, it's not as idiosyncratic in Japanese, where speaking in third person about yourself (or actually using your name as a first-person pronoun) is gramatically correct, so it's not something you should translate word-to-word. :^^;:
Fanbars by Itsuka
L-Voss
鎌倉区府人

Postby aquagon » Thursday May 05, 2011 2:16 am

And finally, I have to say that this game's localization gets an 8.0 on my book. It really did its job right, and it really made the characters' personality and main plot shine. However, I can't give it a higher rating due to all the errors and inconsistencies in the terminology, the name changes to two of the Hymmnos songs, and finally, due to not fixing some of the mistakes they promised that would be fixed ("Infel Pira", anyone?)
Was ki ga rete omnis zash en crudea...
onaarr tyys ceefbb.
Ochis meya, baprou, zaebaralia sos...
chia zosph pheile simalea...

WEL OLRY SIO, LE FEL HORY NEO FEL ORY, ARY SE WEL.
LEE WEL NEL FORY, ARIA SIE ESTIA WEL SE FEL ESTY.

aquagon
Hymmnos Researcher
Tower Admin

Species: Dragonian

Postby Goober » Thursday May 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I actually found a neat little thing you can access during conversations that wound up annoying me more than anything else.

If you press triangle you can see ALL of the current conversation, and it also allows you to hear it read back to you if it had voice acting. Those parts are marked with an icon.

This icon showed up on a LOT of stuff that was never spoken in the english version, but I'm going to assume was spoken in the Japanese dub.

The battle system felt weird at first. I had to buy a component cable just to be able to read the text on my standard definition TV.

I still couldn't read everything as well as I would have liked, which led me to not reading the Flipsphere tutorial correctly...and I missed the part where you're supposed to actually do something after activating it. Funnily enough I didn't even need it until the MYU battle. Yeah, I beat up Mute during the flipsphere tutorial without actually using flipsphere. Even worse, I somehow missed the part about pressing X to activate song magic when i was ready...so for the first 20 hours of the game I was just hitting any shoulder buttons I hadn't used already to activate magic. I only found out about it later on completely on accident ._.

TV issues aside, balancing is the big killer here. Yes, song magic in the other 2 games can be very strong. Over powered even. But dear goddess, Flipsphere is just flat out redonkulous. I was one shotting EVERY SINGLE BOSS with it. It's not hard when i can break 1 (or even 2!) million damage in a few minutes. It kinda breaks the tension when every boss battle comes down to just surviving long enough to pull off a flipsphere attack. I don't recall AT 1 or 2 being this easy my first time through, even if they did take me about the same amount of time to complete.
Goober
The Goofy

Postby Utsuho Lazy » Thursday May 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Goober wrote:This icon showed up on a LOT of stuff that was never spoken in the english version, but I'm going to assume was spoken in the Japanese dub.

So it was an incomplete dub again? :<

Yes, a majority of the important events is supposed to be voiced.

Goober wrote:TV issues aside, balancing is the big killer here. Yes, song magic in the other 2 games can be very strong. Over powered even. But dear goddess, Flipsphere is just flat out redonkulous. I was one shotting EVERY SINGLE BOSS with it. It's not hard when i can break 1 (or even 2!) million damage in a few minutes. It kinda breaks the tension when every boss battle comes down to just surviving long enough to pull off a flipsphere attack. I don't recall AT 1 or 2 being this easy my first time through, even if they did take me about the same amount of time to complete.

It's the same as Replekia, actually. And for most players, there are some bosses that cannot be one hit with Flipsphere, unless they're really patient to wait for the Burst gauge to raise that much.
Utsuho Lazy

Postby Goober » Thursday May 05, 2011 6:35 pm

I s'pose for me Replekia just felt more...epic?

Flipsphere just feels kinda anti-climactic.

There was only one battle that I fought that I needed a stupidly high burst, and it was basically required if I wanted to get a true ending.

600,000 for MYU, I never needed more than 200,000 for anything else. Even for each phase of the last boss...and even that was probably overkill.
Goober
The Goofy

Postby Melody_Light » Thursday May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

L-Voss wrote:
Emotion wrote:Some people don't like Cocona and Saki's third person speak? That's part of their charm and appeal that makes up their personality, and I love it. I hate how they toned it down or ignore that idiosyncrasy part of their speech pattern. It's bad to lessen or remove it, and thinking it's okay to do either would be downright wrong, especially since not having them speak like that would be sacrilegious, and would result in depriving people from enjoying/experiencing how they're intended to be.

The point is, it's not as idiosyncratic in Japanese, where speaking in third person about yourself (or actually using your name as a first-person pronoun) is gramatically correct, so it's not something you should translate word-to-word. :^^;:

Well, I don't recall Cocona even speaking in third person in the English version at all. Someone else felt the same way, but I can't remember who....LOL

Saki switched back and forth between speaking third person and speaking normally. Because of that, I could handle it a bit more, even though I rather not hear the third person at all...In English, like L-Voss said, third person isn't quite right. Not to mention usually very egotistical people speak that way, and I know for certain that Saki's not selfish or anything, so I had to keep reminding myself. Also to add, I've never heard any English-speaking children speak that way, because over here that shit doesn't fly...LOL...Back to Saki though, I just had to keep reminding myself of the culture difference on that aspect...
ImageImage
ImageFanbars made by Itsuka
Melody_Light
Elegy's Reyvateil

Postby Goober » Thursday May 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Melody_Light wrote:
L-Voss wrote:

Well, I don't recall Cocona even speaking in third person in the English version at all. Someone else felt the same way, but I can't remember who....LOL

Saki switched back and forth between speaking third person and speaking normally. Because of that, I could handle it a bit more, even though I rather not hear the third person at all...In English, like L-Voss said, third person isn't quite right. Not to mention usually very egotistical people speak that way, and I know for certain that Saki's not selfish or anything, so I had to keep reminding myself. Also to add, I've never heard any English-speaking children speak that way, because over here that shit doesn't fly...LOL...Back to Saki though, I just had to keep reminding myself of the culture difference on that aspect...
Saki talking about herself in third person reminded me of Fuko from Clannad.

It makes her seem more childish than egotistical...to me at least.
Goober
The Goofy

Postby L-Voss » Thursday May 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Goober wrote:
Melody_Light wrote:
L-Voss wrote:

Saki talking about herself in third person reminded me of Fuko from Clannad.

It makes her seem more childish than egotistical...to me at least.

Um, it's not a nod to anything, really. You can actually find young Japanese girls who use their names as first-person pronouns in real life Japan and there's nothing wrong or unusual with it. However, as Melody pointed out, in English it gives an arrogant feel, while in Japanese, as you pointed out, it feels childish and cute.
Fanbars by Itsuka
L-Voss
鎌倉区府人

Re: The Many Things Wrong with NISA's Release of ATIII Threa

Postby takara123 » Tuesday October 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the audio sync issue towards the end of Tyria's level 3CS was TERRIBLE.

The translation done for this game was slightly better than ATII but it turned bad towards the later parts of the game. Like at CS8/9 and Phase 3/4
takara123

Re: The Many Things Wrong with NISA's Release of ATIII Threa

Postby aquagon » Thursday August 23, 2012 3:39 am

Ok, to finish this off, a couple of things I noticed while replaying the game, and also a few I wasn't very sure about (yet I noticed upon seeing them), but I recently confirmed from digging through the game's text files and checking through some FMVs:

Spoiler:  [ Open ]
- All references to Infel Phira were changed to use the same mispelling that was used in At2 (Infel Pira), and this includes the Hymmnos Spells used for Downloads and Uninstalling, and while they fixed the broken Hymmnos text seen before Fusionsphere is sung, they left a similar one bugged, which is the one appearing right before heading to the Planetary Core.
- The narration told with the video that plays at the start of a new game was supposed to have pretty much the same phrasing as the narration from the attract mode FMV from At1 (in which Harmonics EOLIA played), at least until the part in which the model of a devastated Ar Ciel is shown, as the line for that part was added in this game.

Like I mentioned before, this localization is far above At2's disaster, yet still it has a few things that for me are minor annoyances, and one of these is the failure to keep a promise they had made with the announcement of the localization, which was fixing up the Hymmnos mishaps they did in At2. To me, even meddling with the Hymmnos texts in-game just to cover one mistake from At2 they didn't want to fix doesn't come off as that.
Was ki ga rete omnis zash en crudea...
onaarr tyys ceefbb.
Ochis meya, baprou, zaebaralia sos...
chia zosph pheile simalea...

WEL OLRY SIO, LE FEL HORY NEO FEL ORY, ARY SE WEL.
LEE WEL NEL FORY, ARIA SIE ESTIA WEL SE FEL ESTY.

aquagon
Hymmnos Researcher
Tower Admin

Species: Dragonian

Previous

Return to Sol Cluster